RPGaDay2015: Catching up

Dear Readers, all 10 or so of you, the past few days have been somewhat fraught. I have started fall semester orientation, gotten my son's senior pictures, baked desserts of legend, and seen my sons leave for the summer. I am, frankly, spent, and not a little sad. I have therefore allowed the RPGaDay project to fall off my radar. Today, however, I'm catching up, with days 17, 18, and 19 all in one overstuffed post!

Day 17: Favorite Fantasy RPG

So, this one's actually hard for me, because although I started off in fantasy just like most other gamers... I'm not in love with playing in fantasy games. It takes something very unique about a fantasy world for me to engage with it anymore. I've got no interest in Tolkien-esque settings if it's not actually Tolkien; no interest in the bog-standard D&D stuff either anymore. I think the closest thing to standard fantasy I'm into anymore is something like Blue Rose, which has a nicely developed fantasy world and is ideally suited to run the types of fantasy books I enjoy a bit more (Robin McKinley's work in particular). I'm really looking forward to the 2nd edition. Pretty spiffy all around.

Day 18: Favorite SF RPG

Okay, so confession number two: I'm not a big SF fan. Speculative fiction, yes; science fiction specifically, no. It tends to just leave me cold. There are some exceptions, mind you, but they're few and far between, and tend to leave the sci-fi as window dressing instead of making it central to the game. The one I'd be the most excited about playing, though? Eclipse Phase. It's probably telling that it errs far more on the social SF side of the spectrum; most of the ones I like do.

At its best, Eclipse Phase has all the horror of Alien with all the psychological and philosophical weight of the very best work out there. At its least complex, it has bacon ships. You can make what you want out of it, without the default being military SF, which is a genre that doesn't appeal to me in the least for RP purposes. They do good work, those guys at Posthuman. :)

Day 19: Favorite Supers RPG


Hmm. I think my favorite has to be Marvel Heroic. I know there are issues with it, but it's really just a heck of a lot of fun. It's a pure shame that the game license went away, because it's a really awesome game. My character, when last we played it, was Pink, a college track star who was exposed to radiation and developed a super metabolism and super strength, so she's very jumpy-flippy and very strong and very good at acrobatics. I don't think she had any abilities other than that, but it's been a hot minute. She was fun to play, though, and I enjoyed the ease and flexibility of the game system; it was easy to pick up and learn, easy to play, and I was never at a loss for what my character was capable of, or what the best approach to something would be for her.

I don't have a big yearning to play established characters, so figuring out how to make someone from scratch was more of a challenge than I wanted it to be, but I can't really hold that against it; it's not like it turned out to be hard. Really, though, pretty darn awesome. Good work once again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Timewatch: Session Five

Timewatch, Session Four.

Timewatch: Session Six!